Applying for Study Permit within Canada

Apply for Study Permit within CanadaBernita is an Ecuadorian citizen. She and her husband moved to Canada last summer because her husband received a work permit to work for a financial company in Windsor, Ontario. Bernita holds a bachelor’s degree. She wants to continue her studies in Canada. In fact, she approached the University of Windsor and received admission from them. Bernita wonders if she could apply for a study permit within Canada. She doesn’t want to leave Canada as it imposes lots of expenses and forces her to be away from her husband for a while.

As a general rule, you need to apply for a study permit while you are outside Canada. However, there are some exceptional situations. For example, some people may apply for a study permit when they are entering Canada. The focus of this article is on those people who may apply for a study permit from within Canada. You may apply for a study permit within Canada, if,

  1. you already hold a valid study permit or work permit;
  2. your study permit expired less than 90 days ago, but you are the minor child of a foreign worker or international student;
  3. your study permit expired less than 90 days ago, but you are the family member of a foreign diplomat;
  4. you hold a temporary resident permit that is valid for at least six months;
  5. you are under an unenforceable removal order;
  6. IRB has conferred your refugee application, or rather you are a protected person;
  7. you hold a temporary resident status, but you meet one of the following conditions:
    • studying at preschool, primary school, or secondary school (practically only minor children)
    • a visiting student to a designated learning institution
    • completed a course of study in Canada that is a prerequisite for a more extended program
  8. your in-Canada class spousal sponsorship application is under review, but not finalized;
  9. you have successfully passed the stage one of an H&C application; or
  10. you are a family member of a
    • a work-permit or study-permit holder
    • a protected person,
    • a person who is under an unenforceable removal order,
    • an in-Canada class spousal sponsorship applicant,
    • a person mentioned under row “7” above,
    • a person who holds a TRP that is valid for more than six months,
    • or a person whose H&C application has successfully passed stage one.

Biometrics for in-Canada applicants

Starting December 3, 2019, if you are applying from inside Canada you may need to give biometrics. Read the following article for more information:

What if You Cannot Apply within Canada?

If none of the above applies, you may still submit your paper application to the Visa Application Centre in New York. Alternatively, you need to leave Canada and apply from outside Canada. The latter is probably a better option for most applicants. The last but not least, you may also read the following articles:

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada


This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have anywhere in this world. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Updated: June 15, 2020

Related Posts

Can international students quit their studies in Canada?

Apr 19, 2021

IRCC accepts 90,000 immigrants from temporary residents in Canada

Apr 15, 2021

Criminality versus serious criminality in immigration to Canada

Apr 13, 2021

Dependent type A B C in immigration to Canada

Apr 11, 2021

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches the official immigration consulting courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al who holds a Masters degree from Yorkville University is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented hundreds of applicants from more than 30 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?