work on campus

Study permits: Working on campus

Canada is a famous country for international students. Many of these students come to Canada for language training, elementary or secondary schools, short-term programs, and more. In previous articles, we have talked about international students working in Canada. However, today we’ll focus on full-time post-secondary students who can only work on campus.

What is on-campus work?

Some full-time students can only work on the campus of the educational institution at which they are registered. This means they can work at employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus.

According to IRCC, if an institution has more than one campus, the student can work at different locations on those campuses (within the same municipality). However, if the institution has campuses in different cities, the student is restricted to working on the institution’s campus where they are registered.

Examples of on-campus work

Some examples of working on the campus include:

  • Teaching assistant (TA),
  • Administrative assistant – office duties,
  • Research assistant,
  • Social media assistant,
  • Library attendant,
  • Mailroom attendant,
  • The campus tour guide,

Of course, you can also work as a barista (working at the school café), fitness or personal trainer at the school gym, lifeguard, among others.

In terms of the employer, they can be any of the following: the institution, a faculty, a student organization, the students themselves (self-employment taking place on campus), a private business, a private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus, and more.

It is important to note that some universities and colleges are located in city centres. On-campus employers include those whose businesses serve the general public, as long as the place of business is located on the institution’s campus.

Working on campus without a work permit

Full-time post-secondary students may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college.  Section 186 of IRPR [R186(f)] lists all potential options for working in Canada without a work permit. Two of the main requirements are to hold a study permit and be a full-time student. For more information, please click here.

<<Also Read: Work after studies in Canada>>

Let us help!

If you intend to study in Canada, submit the following form. Alternatively, you may book an appointment with me or fill out our assessment form.

    How old is the student (required)

    Has the student taken an English or French test?

    How knowledgeable the student is in English or French languages (one language is enough)

    Has the student evaluated their educational credentials in Canada?

    How much money the student has to support their living expenses and tuition in Canada for the first year of studies in Canada?

    At which level do you wish to study?

    Does the student have accompanying family members?

    Do you have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institute?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    work permits for family members of temporary foreign workers

    Canada is extending work permits to family members of temporary workers

    Dec 5, 2022
    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Dec 4, 2022

    IELTS for entrepreneur work permits, IMP C11, C10, and C12

    Dec 3, 2022
    Canada leads the G7 for the most educated workforce

    Canada leads G7 nations in post-secondary degree holders

    Dec 3, 2022

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?