Super Visa: eligibility criteria and documentation requirements

Super Visa: eligibility criteria and documentation requirements

The Super Visa is an attractive option for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who wish to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada. This visa provides multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years. Moreover, it allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for up to 5 years at a time.

Major reforms to the Super Visa came into effect on July 2022. The changes include the option to request to extend the stay of parents and grandparents by up to 2 years while in Canada.

It is important to note that the Super Visa is offered as an alternative to the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP). The PGP offers permanent residence to its applicants. However, the demand to sponsor exceeds the number of spots available. In addition, IRCC has held lotteries to decide who gets to apply for the PGP, which critics say is unfair as candidates who just entered the pool may be picked over those who have been waiting much longer.

Now that you know more about the Super Visa, let’s explore in detail the eligibility criteria and documentation requirements for this visa.

Eligibility criteria and documentation requirements

To be eligible for a super visa, you must meet the requirements for temporary residence in Canada (as a visitor) and provide the additional required documentation. This includes the following:

  • proof of their relationship to the child or grandchild (who must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident), such as:
    • a copy of the child’s or grandchild’s birth certificate
    • a copy of the child’s or grandchild’s baptismal certificate
    • another official document naming the applicant as the parent or grandparent
  • proof of an immigration medical examination and of being admissible to Canada on health grounds
  • evidence that the applicant has private medical insurance that:
    • is from a Canadian insurance company,
    • is valid for a minimum of 1 year from the date of entry, and
    • meets all the following criteria: covers the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation; provides a minimum of $100,000 emergency coverage; is valid for each entry into Canada; and is available for review by the border services officer upon request.
  • a letter of invitation written and signed by the host child or grandchild that includes the following:
    • a promise of financial support for the length of the applicant’s intended stay in Canada
    • a list of all members of the household in Canada (including the visiting parent(s) or grandparent(s))
    • a copy of the host child or grandchild’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • proof of financial support by the child or grandchild. The child or grandchild who invites the applicant must prove that their household meets the low income cut-off (LICO). Examples of what you can use as proof of financial support include:
    • notice of assessment (NOA) for the most recent tax year
    • T4 or T1 for the most recent tax year
    • pay stubs
    • Employment Insurance benefit statement. Source: IRCC.

How to apply

  1. Before you apply for a super visa, you need to get the above documents ready.
  2. You must apply online with the IRCC Portal for a super visa
  3. Once you complete the application, you must pay the fees for the visa: $100 per person.

Let us help!

We could help with your parents’ and grandparents’ Super Visa. Fill out the following form and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Alternatively, you may fill out our assessment form for other immigration options, or book a consultation session with Al Parsai for specific questions about your case.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your WhatsApp Number (Optional)


    Parental Sponsorship Applications

    Is the sponsor eligible to sponsor their parents?

    NoYesI don't know

    Is the applicant (the foreign national) eligible to immigrate?

    NoYesI don't know

    Are you willing to hire an immigration consultant to help you with your sponsorship application?

    NoYesI don't know

    Please provide more explanation below (optional but recommended):

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Canada has the largest share of post-secondary degree holders in the G7

    Canada has the largest share of post-secondary degree holders in the G7

    Feb 1, 2023
    average weekly earnings by provinces in Canada January 2023

    Average weekly earnings by provinces in Canada: January 2023 update

    Jan 31, 2023
    Temporary measure for spouses and children of temporary foreign workers

    Temporary measure for spouses and children of temporary foreign workers

    Jan 30, 2023
    What is the BC PNP Tech Stream

    What is the BC PNP Tech Stream?

    Jan 29, 2023

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?