Author: Al Parsai
Last Updated On: January 2, 2021

Three Steps to Work in Canada

Canada is one of the top 10 economies on earth. No wonder, many people in the world dream to work and live in Canada. In fact, our country welcomes more than 250,000 temporary foreign workers every year. Of course, they work in different sectors such as agriculture, IT, manufacturing, natural resources, etc. Nonetheless, some of them are researchers or highly skilled workers and some of them are low skilled workers. Of course, many of those foreign workers stay somewhere in between.

If you want to be one of those foreign workers, you generally need to take the following three steps.

  1. Get a job offer
  2. Receive the preliminary documents
  3. Apply for a Work Permit

Step One – Get a Job Offer

To get a job offer, you need to find a Canadian employer who is willing to hire you. Of course, some people find these employers via family or friends. Sometimes they use government-run programs such as the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program.

If you do not have access to any of those services, you may consider approaching Canadian recruitment agencies or Canadian career websites. Unfortunately, the chances of getting a job offer via the websites are low. However, it is not a bad idea if you upload your resume and hope for the best.

If you are a US citizen or hold a valid visit visa to Canada or if you may travel to Canada with an eTA then you may also consider visiting our country first and talk to the potential employers in person. Whatever you do, remember that nobody is allowed to charge you a fee to find you jobs in Canada. This is illegal.

Read the following articles for more information about job hunting techniques:

Create jobs instead of applying for them!

Sometimes you could bypass the step of job-finding by creating jobs for Canadians. Read the following article for more information:

Step Two – Receive the Preliminary Documents

The Canadian employer usually needs to get a special permit from the Canadian labour office or rather ESDC. Of course, they call this permit the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Consequently, if the employer receives a positive LMIA, you may proceed with the Work Permit application.

LMIA exemption!

Sometimes the position you apply for is exempt from an LMIA. In these situations, the employer usually needs to apply for an exemption code via their employer account on the IRCC website.

While the employer applies for an LMIA or an LMIA exemption code, you also need to prepare certain documents. For example, consider collecting identification documents, work permit forms and the documents showing you meet the requirements of the job.

Step Three – Apply for a Work Permit

Some jobs are exempt from a Work Permit. However, the majority of jobs in Canada require a Work Permit. Needless to say, a Work Permit allows you to stay and work in Canada.

If you successfully pass the first two steps, you need to apply for a Work Permit. Of course, you may apply for a work permit before entering Canada. However, if you would like to see alternative options, read the following articles:

Upon receiving a work permit, you may work in Canada.

The validity of a work permit

A Work Permit could be valid for a few days or a few years. Regardless, it may impose certain limitations. For example, it may limit the location or the employer. Of course, make sure to comply with all the requirements of the Work Permit to avoid losing it or being removed from Canada.

Application for family members

If you have a spouse, common-law partner or children, then they could also accompany you to Canada under certain circumstances. Consult with a professional for more information.

Keep in mind that a Work Permit is temporary. If you intend to live in Canada permanently, then you need to consider immigrating to Canada.

Useful articles about working in Canada

You may find the following articles useful.

Related Posts

K-12 Education in Canada: A Guide for Americans and Others

Jul 8, 2024

Ontario Expands In-Demand Skills Job List

Jul 6, 2024

Proposed Changes to Remove First-Generation Citizenship Rule

Jul 1, 2024

Access Your Travel History: A Guide for Canadian and U.S. Entries

Jun 30, 2024

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.