International Experience Canada Program 2023

IRCC launches the 2023 International Experience Canada Program to work and travel in Canada

The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration launched the 2023 International Experience Canada (IEC) Program with a 20% increase in the number of applicants. IEC allows youth to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years. With the 20% increase, nearly 90,000 candidates will be able to apply for the program as of January 9, 2023.

It is important to mention that Canada has youth mobility arrangements with 36 countries and foreign territories through the IEC Program. The ages range from 18 to 35 depending on the country.

“Our government is helping more international youth to work and travel in Canada, effectively helping employers, most of those in the tourism industry, find the workers they need. By giving youth the opportunity of international travel and work experience, we are strengthening our economy and helping our businesses succeed, particularly in places like Banff that need seasonal help.”

The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

About the International Experience Canada program

International Experience Canada (IEC) has 3 different categories available: working holiday; international co-op; and young professionals.

  • Working Holiday:

This category is for people who don’t have a job offer, want to work for more than one employer in Canada and want to work in more than one location.

Moreover, the type of work permit that candidates get in this category is an open work permit, which lets them work for any employer in Canada. Of course, some exceptions could apply.

  • Young Professionals:

This category is for people who have a job offer (TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the new NOC) in Canada and are going to work for the same employer during their stay in the country. Please be aware that work must be paid and not self-employed.

The type of work permit that candidates obtain in this category is an employer-specific work permit. This permit allows participants to gain targeted, professional work experience that is within their field of study or career path. Some exemptions apply to employers and candidates with a TEER 4 job.

  • International Co-op (Internship)

This category is for students who are registered at a post-secondary institution, and:
– have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada,
– need to do their work placement or internship to complete their studies. Also, these students need to work for the same employer in the same location during their stay in Canada. If the student is selected, they will get an employer-specific work permit.

Please notice that if you’re a citizen of a partner country, you may be able to apply to one or more of these 3 categories. However, if you aren’t a citizen of a partner country, you may still be able to apply to IEC through a recognized organization.

List of eligible countries for International Experience Canada

Costa Rica
Czech Republic
Denmark (Danish citizens who reside in Greenland and the Faroe Islands are also eligible)
Hong Kong
New Zealand
San Marino
South Korea
United Kingdom

You can check a list of the countries with the highest chances of an invitation in 2022, here.

Let us help!

If you have general immigration questions, you may fill out the following form. Of course, if you have specific questions, please book an appointment. You may fill out our free assessment form for other immigration options.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Two-Pronged Test in Addressing Internal Flight Alternative (IFA)

    Apr 20, 2024

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira