The Caregiver Pilot

The Caregiver Pilot is now open to new applications

Note (December 6, 2022): IRCC updated the instructions for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot.

Caregivers can now apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot.  These 5-year pilot programs let some qualified caregivers and their families come to Canada and eventually become permanent residents. This year, IRCC will accept up to 2,750 applications for each pilot.

If you are not familiar with the caregiver pilot process, read the following article:

Who Qualifies for the Caregiver Pilot Program?

In order to qualify for this program, you must:

1. Have a genuine and valid job offer

This means that there’s a real need to hire you. Also, it means that the job offer is from a Canadian employer, outside the province of Quebec. In addition, the employer fills out the form IMM 5983 thoroughly and truthfully, and the job is full-time.

2. Be able to do the job

You may need to have some skills and experiences such as first aid, CPR – cardiopulmonary resuscitation, administering medication, among others.

3. Meet the language level

You need to prove you meet the minimum language skills. In order to do that you need to take at least one of the following tests before applying for the caregiver pilot: CELPIP, IELTS, TEF Canada or, TCF Canada.

The minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills: writing, reading, listening, and speaking.

4. Meet the education requirement

You must show at least one year of post-secondary education. If you don’t have a Canadian education credential, you need to get your foreign education credential assessed.

5. Be admissible to Canada

If you are inadmissible to Canada, you may not immigrate or work in Canada. The caregiver pilot program is no exception.

6. Plan to live outside the province of Quebec as a permanent resident

You must intend to live anywhere but in Quebec. Therefore, you may not apply if employment is in the province of Quebec (e.g. in Montreal or Quebec city).

Of course, these are just some general requirements, our CEO and RCIC, Al Parsai, wrote a detailed article about the criteria that you must meet. We highly recommend that you read this if you wish to apply to this program:

Let us Help!

If you are interested in applying for this program, please fill out the following form. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. However, for immigration purposes, please fill out our assessment form.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your WhatsApp Number (Optional)


    Caregiver Pilot Program

    Do you have experience or training as a caregiver (other than being a foster parent)?


    Do you currently have a job offer or are you able to receive a job offer from a Canadian employer?


    Have you completed at least one year of post-secondary education?


    Have you received your ECA report if your education is from outside Canada?

    NoYesI don't know

    Have you taken an acceptable language test with a CLB score of 5 or more?


    Do you have any serious medical issues or criminal history?


    Are you willing to hire an immigration consultant to help you with your permanent residency application?


    If you answered No to any of the questions, please provide more explanation below:

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    CUSMA Work Permit: The T36 Exemption Code for Professionals

    Mar 29, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira