The difference between visa and temporary status in Canada

One of the confusing issues for Canadian visitors is the difference between visa and temporary status. Of course, understanding a temporary resident visa is not difficult. You ask IRCC to allow you to travel to Canada, and then they may issue you a visa. However, what happens when you enter Canada? Let’s discuss these two concepts in more detail.

Permanent status, temporary status, no status

Before discussing visa versus temporary status, let’s explore the concept of status in Canada. Of course, I’m looking at this concept from the immigration lens.

Permanent status

The following people have permanent status in Canada:

Temporary status

The following people have legal temporary resident status in Canada. Nonetheless, make sure to review the terms and conditions.

  • Work permit holders: If you have a valid work permit, you have temporary status in Canada. However, a work permit that carries the “does not confer temporary status” message means you have no status. Also, you could lose your temporary status if you receive an enforceable removal order.
  • Study permit holders: You have temporary status unless one of the following happens: (1) The study permit expires; (2) It has been more than 90 days since you finished your studies in Canada; (3) Immigration authorities have issued an enforceable removal order against you; (4) Your permit includes a message that loosely says “does not confer temporary status.”
  • Visitor Record holders: Of course, the Visitor Record must be valid. Also, an enforceable removal order cancels the validity of the Visitor Record.
  • Implicit Visitor Record holders: Sometimes, officers allow you to enter Canada without issuing a Visitor Record. Consequently, you may remain in Canada for up to six months or the date they mention on your passport. Nonetheless, an enforceable removal order cancels your temporary status in Canada.
  • Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) holders: A TRP offers you temporary status in Canada. However, you lose the TRP upon the expiry date or when you receive an enforceable removal order.
  • Protected persons: An individual who has received protection from IRB or IRCC may remain in Canada. However, they must eventually apply for permanent residence.

People who hold maintained status also have temporary status in Canada. However, the Restoration of Status applicants do not keep temporary legal status in Canada.

No status

If a person does not fall into the previous cases, they do not have legal status in Canada. Here are some examples:

  • Someone who has entered Canada irregularly (i.e., not through a port of entry)
  • Refugee claimants
  • People who have overstayed in Canada (i.e., beyond the validity of their status)
  • Persons who have received an enforceable removal order
  • Most stateless people (i.e., people who are not the citizen of any country)

Of course, this list is not inclusive.

Canadian visa (TRV)

A Canadian visa allows people to travel to Canada. We call such visas a TRV. Of course, you may receive a TRV for many purposes such as work, study, or tourism. Moreover, a typical TRV sticker reflects the nature of your visit. Regardless, the purpose of a visa is to allow you to board an airplane and travel to Canada. It is up to a border officer to allow you to enter and remain in Canada. The US citizens may travel to Canada without a TRV. Also, some other people may travel to Canada with an eTA and without a visa.

Visa versus temporary status

Reviewing the previous sections makes you realize that a visa is for travelling to Canada, and temporary status is for remaining in Canada. Therefore, we can summarize the differences between a Canadian visa and temporary status below:

  • You receive a visa before travelling to Canada. However, an officer at the port of entry grants you temporary status.
  • You may apply for an extension or change your temporary status inside Canada. Nevertheless, you must meet the requirements.
  • An application for a TRV from inside Canada is possible. However, it is not necessary for the extension of your temporary status. Therefore, even if your TRV expires, you may still extend your status without having a valid TRV. Of course, as I mentioned before, you must meet the extension’s requirements.

Let us help you with visa or temporary status applications

Contact us if you intend to apply for a visa or extend your temporary status. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. Moreover, for immigration options, please fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Canadas record population growth 2023 update

    Immigration drives last year’s record population growth in Canada

    Mar 25, 2023
    Canadian provinces minimum wage 2023

    These Canadian provinces will increase their minimum wage in April 2023

    Mar 24, 2023

    Vavilov decision: A turning point in Canadian judicial review

    Mar 23, 2023
    Ontario and other provinces nomination allocation 2023

    Ontario dominates PNP nominations with 16,500 allocations for 2023

    Mar 23, 2023

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?