travel exemptions

The travel exemption for immediate family members no longer exists

On January 12, Parsai Immigration talked about the changes that Canada would make to travel restrictions for immediate family members. Furthermore, this week, the government of Canada confirmed that the exemption for immediate family members of temporary residents no longer exists.

As of January 15, 2022, all foreign nationals must be fully vaccinated to enter Canada. In fact, Canada has also limited travel restriction exemptions “to a small proportion of IRCC’s clients,” says an update from the government.

Moreover, since January 15, there are just a few notable exemptions for:

  • new permanent residents,
  • refugees,
  • temporary foreign workers in agriculture or food-processing occupations,
  • asylum claimants,
  • and also some minors under the age of 18.

Of course, these foreign nationals must continue to meet all travel document requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

Travel restrictions for immediate family members

Some immediate family members who needed to travel to Canada to unite with their families were exempt from some travel restrictions. However, due to the current situation of the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada adjusted its border measures for this group.

Also, as of January 15, unvaccinated immediate family members may not be able to travel to Canada, even if they:

  • have a valid visa or eTA, or
  • were previously issued a letter by IRCC exempting them from the travel restrictions.

In addition, IRCC no longer pre-adjudicates travel by issuing written authorization for either cohort under the latest orders in council. To find out if you can enter Canada, please visit the following link.

Existing travel restrictions

As of December 15, 2021, Canada’s federal government is advising against all non-essential travel outside Canada due to the Omicron variant. Please note that travel restrictions are still in effect. These also include providing proof of vaccination and a negative COVID-19 test result before boarding an international flight bound for Canada. Of course, you can visit the Government of Canada website for more details.

Let us help!

If you have general questions about how to enter Canada, fill out the following form. Of course, you can also book an appointment for official advice about travelling to Canada or other immigration subjects. Additionally, you can fill out our free assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    You can also read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Public Complaints and Review Commission

    Government of Canada to create watchdog for the CBSA

    May 24, 2022

    How to receive a Canadian work permit document

    May 24, 2022

    Travelling or immigrating to Canada with monkeypox

    May 23, 2022
    Ottawa bans sanctioned Russians from entering Canada

    Ottawa bans sanctioned Russians from entering Canada

    May 22, 2022

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?