IRCC Interim Work Authorization

This is the Interim Work Authorization that IRCC is Sending to the Email

On August 1, 2022, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) released details for international graduates with expired or expiring post-graduation work permits (PGWPs). On that day, IRCC said it will send email notices to PGWP holders whose documents have expired or will expire from September 20, 2021, to December 31, 2022. The email is supposed to indicate that the PGWP holder is allowed to work in Canada in the interim.

Parsai Immigration Services contacted some PGWP holders who received this email. This is what we found out!

Interim work authorization

The email just lets you know that you’re allowed to work temporarily in Canada under a temporary public policy.

Interim work authorization letter by IRCC

Those who receive the email can attach it to their PGWP to show their employer that they are authorized to work in Canada.

Who can use this email to work temporarily

According to IRCC, you must be in Canada when you receive the email. Also, your PGWP must have expired or be expiring between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2022.

If your employer has questions about this email, you can show them this web page:

Who you can work for

The email allows you to work under the same conditions that you already have on your PGWP. Please be aware that if you’re outside Canada you cannot use the email to travel to Canada.

If you don’t get a new open work permit

The purpose of this email is to allow you to start working right away while you apply and wait for your application. By the time your email expires, you should have a decision on your work permit application.

Other measures for foreign nationals with expired or expiring PGWP

The new measures affect applicants in different ways. Here you can find the measures for each scenario and how to apply for this new temporary public policy:

Help for International graduates

For Post Graduate Work Permits or other international student or graduate options, fill out the following form. Alternatively, you can also book a consultation session. If you are not an international student or graduate in Canada, fill out our assessment form.

Read this in Spanish

Related Posts

A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

Jun 10, 2024

Open Work Permits for Vulnerable Workers OWP-V: A CIMM View

Jun 9, 2024

Comparing the U.S. INA and Canada’s IRPA: Immigration Laws

Jun 8, 2024

Join Al Parsai in Calgary and Edmonton!

Jun 3, 2024

Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

Al ParsaiAl Parsai, LLM, MA, RCIC-IRB
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Andrea Neira