Travel exemptions to Canada for immediate and extended family members

The government of Canada has set several travel restrictions in place to protect Canadians amid COVID-19. Consequently, people who hold a valid TRV or eTA may not travel to Canada. However, certain people are exempt. A large group of exempt travellers are the family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Nonetheless, travel exemptions work differently for immediate versus extended family members. Unfortunately, this article’s content does not apply to the family members of visitors, international students, or temporary foreign workers in Canada.

Table of contents

Who is an immediate family member?

The following list covers immediate family members for travelling to Canada. Of course, they show the relationship to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada who resides in Canada.

The following article defines who is a dependent child:

Who is an extended family member?

The following list covers extended family members for travelling to Canada. Of course, they show the relationship to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada who resides in Canada.

  • grandparent
  • sibling (i.e. brother or sister), half-sibling or step-sibling
  • grandchild (dependent child of a non-dependent adult child)
  • non-dependent child (adult child) –  a child who is either over 22, married or in a common-law relationship
  • conjugal partner or a person who is in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least one year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship
Let us help!

The first step: before considering travel exemptions

Make sure that your immediate or extended family members hold proper documents. Depending on their nationality or purpose of visit, they may need an eTA, a TRV, or none to travel to Canada. However, if they do not hold proper documents, they may not travel to Canada regardless of the exemptions. Read the following articles for more information:

NOTE: If you do not hold a TRV or an eTA, you may still apply. However, there is a particular route for applying for TRV or eTA under the current circumstances (rather than the regular application process). We can undoubtedly evaluate you and see if we can assist you.

Let us help!

The second step: having a quarantine plan in place

If your immediate or extended family member holds valid documents, make sure they also have a quarantine plan. Of course, such a plan needs to show they can and will self-isolate for 14 days upon the arrival. A proper plan includes the following:

  • Introduces an isolated location (e.g. an apartment unit). They may stay without any contact with the outside world.
  • A safe transportation plan from the airport to the quarantine location
  • Arrangements for the safe delivery of grocery and consumable products such as toilet paper without leaving the place
  • Attending to their medical and emergency needs by following the quarantine rules.

You need to set up the plan upfront. You may need to present it to the airline, IRCC and Border Services officers or other authorities. Nonetheless, the consequences of not following the quarantine plan could result in one or all of the following problems:

Let us help!

The third step: for immediate family members

Unlike extended family members, immediate family members may travel to Canada without applying for authorization. However, they must show documents to prove their family members’ status in Canada and their relationship.

Documents that prove the status of the person who is in Canada

You may present a copy of one of the following documents:

  • Permanent resident card
  • Citizenship card
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Provincial or territorial birth certificate (proof of birth in Canada)
  • PR travel document
  • Canadian passport

I also recommend presenting at least two recent documents that show the residency of your family member. For example,

  • Cell phone bill
  • Hydro bill (electric or water bill)
  • Gas or oil bill
  • A redacted credit card or bank statement (protect the financial information of your relative)
  • A notarized invitation by your relative in Canada that attests to their address as well

Of course, the above list is neither inclusive nor exclusive. Thus, take a couple of documents or more to convince the airline and border agents, you are truthful.

Documents that show you are an immediate family member

  • birth certificate (especially for dependent children or parents)
  • marriage certificate
  • proof of common-law relationship
  • other convincing documents

If you fail to convince the officer you are an immediate family member, you may face a removal order.

Let us help!

The third step: for extended family members

Unlike the immediate family member, the extended family members need authorization before travelling to Canada. Consequently, they need to go through the following steps.

  1. The person in Canada must fill out the IMM 0006 form.
  2. The extended family member must sign the form.
  3. The Canadian citizen or permanent resident must sign it by a solemn declaration. Of course, this means using the services of a commissioner of oaths, a notary public, a lawyer or a justice of the peace.
  4. The extended family member must receive a copy of the signed form.
  5. Your family member in Canada must request authorization from IRCC. Of course, this includes sending a few documents to them and a few days or weeks of processing time.
  6. The extended family member may only travel to Canada if IRCC issues the authorization. However, they also need to bring the form, the declaration, the quarantine plan and other documents to the port of entry.

Let us assist you!

While our services are not free, you could use a licenced practitioner to assist you. Of course, the first step is to fill out the following form.

Error: Contact form not found.

Relevant: Canada could open its borders to all fully vaccinated travellers in September

Related Posts

3M? Exploring PR Options for Canada’s Temporary Residents

Feb 25, 2024

Grounds for Persecution under IRPA: Refugee Claims in Canada

Feb 25, 2024

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

Feb 19, 2024

Choosing the proper English test for Canada: IELTS, CELPIP, PTE

Feb 16, 2024

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Read more about disclaimer

Al Parsai

This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.