Upfront Medical Exam – IME without a letter

Medial inadmissibility could prevent many people from moving to Canada. Of course, the purpose of medical inadmissibility is to protect the health and safety of Canadians. Therefore, immigration officers ask a large group of applicants to go through medical exams. However, you may sometimes do an upfront medical exam. You do not wait for an officer to issue an Immigration Medical Exam (IME) letter in those situations.

Who needs to do an upfront medical exam?

The following applicants need to do an upfront medical exam. Nevertheless, this list is neither inclusive nor exclusive. Thus consult with a professional for official advice:

  • Express Entry applicants: If you are inside Canada. However, if you or your family members are outside Canada, wait for the immigration authorities to issue an IMM 1017 form. You need to upload an explanation letter to your profile.
  • TR to PR pathway. However, some of the applicants could be exempt from the medical exams.
  • People who intend to remain in Canada for more than six months. However, they have visited or lived for six months or more in certain countries in a year before moving to Canada.

Note: If your immigration or visa program does not qualify for an upfront medical exam, you must wait for an official IME letter (IMM 1017).

The list of designated countries for temporary residents

IRCC has a webpage that includes the list of all countries and territories for IME. When you look up a county from that list, you must do a medical exam if there is a “Yes” under the IME column and you meet the following criteria:

  • You intend to remain in Canada for more than six months; and
  • You have lived or visited these countries for six months or more within the past 12 months.

Since the list of designated countries is subject to change, visit the IRCC webpage for more information. However, here is a screenshot to show you how easily you could find the information you need.

Designated Countries for upfront medical exam

How to conduct an upfront medical exam?

If you intend to do an upfront medical exam, take the following steps.

  1. Locate a panel physician that is close to you. Of course, you must refer to the IRCC website for the official list.
  2. Call them and book an appointment. Let the panel physician know you are going to do an upfront medical exam. Therefore, you do not have an IME form (i.e., no IMM 1017).
  3. Take the following and any other documents the physician requires:
    1. Passport or another official ID card
    2. Lenses or eyeglasses (if you wear them)
    3. A list of your medications
    4. Any evidence of your medical history
    5. Four immigration photographs in exceptional situations
  4. Other than a physical exam, you may also need to go through lab tests, x-rays, etc.

Regardless, the physician will later pass the following documents to you:

  • IMM 1017B Upfront Medical Report form and
  • information printout sheet.

You need to upload both documents if you are applying online. However, if you are applying at a port of entry or on paper, you need to present the hardcopies.

What if you miss the exam?

If you do not do the upfront medical exams, any of the following scenarios could occur:

  1. The officer will issue the IMM 1017 form and asks you to do the exam. Of course, this means a delay in the processing.
  2. They wave you from the exam (unlikely, though).
  3. They refuse your application (extremely unlikely).

Scenario #3 is improbable (especially during the COVID-19 pandemic). However, it is in your best interest to do the exam and avoid potential disappointment. If you have submitted your application, you may still do the medical exam and upload the documents via the IRCC web form. Nonetheless, the IRCC website is silent on this practice.

<<Now read: Some in-Canada applicants are temporarily exempt from medical exams until December 28, 2021>>

Let us help!

If you have general questions about the upfront medical exam, fill out the following form. However, for specific questions, please book a consultation session with me.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Related Posts

    How to apply to the new open work permit

    How to apply to the new TR to PR open work permit

    Jul 31, 2021
    international students

    International students and travel to Canada

    Jul 30, 2021
    immigration in Canada

    What does the future of immigration in Canada looks like?

    Jul 29, 2021

    Ontario invited 1,031 EE candidates in 18 specific occupations

    Jul 28, 2021

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches immigration courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?