What is the BC PNP Tech Stream?
The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) is an immigration program jointly administered by the province of British Columbia and Canada. The program enables the province to select and nominate foreign workers, international students and entrepreneurs through various streams and initiatives. One of these initiatives is BC PNP Tech.
The BC PNP Tech stream gives international talent in tech occupations a pathway to permanent residence, so they can help grow the economy of the province and build a great life in British Columbia. Since its launch in May 2017, BC PNP Tech has supported more than 6,000 tech workers.
Let’s explore the benefits and process for this stream.
Table of contents
Benefits of the BC PNP Tech
- British Columbia conducts targeted tech-only draws to ensure that skilled tech applicants have priority access to the program.
- They also assign files to a dedicated team, resulting in more timely processing of tech applications.
- In addition, British Columbia offers an employer concierge service for companies wishing to support an applicant under BC PNP Tech. Tech employers can contact the program by emailing [email protected].
- This pathway does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- B.C. also offers client support services through email and phone until permanent residence.
How does the BC PNP Tech stream work?
There are 29 in-demand tech occupations eligible for BC PNP Tech. Moreover, candidates need to choose the BC PNP category that is right for them, and meet the general and category requirements:
- Skilled Worker (including Express Entry BC option),
- International Graduate (including Express Entry BC option)
If candidates apply with a valid job offer in one of the eligible tech occupations, their job offer must be for at least one year (365 days).
Eligible Tech Occupations
|Telecommunication carriers managers
|Computer and information systems managers
|Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
|Electrical and electronics engineers
|Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
|Information systems analysts and consultants
|Database analysts and data administrators
|Software engineers and also designers
|Computer programmers and interactive media developers
|Web designers and developers
|Biological technologists and technicians
|Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
|Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)
|Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
|Computer network technicians
|User support technicians
|Information systems testing technicians
|Authors and writers
|Translators, terminologists and interpreters
|Audio and also video recording technicians
|Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
|Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
|Graphic designers as well as illustrators
|Technical sales specialists – wholesale trade
Process for the British Columbia PNP Tech
- The first step is to create a profile and register in BCPNP Online. By registering, you are expressing interest to apply to the BC PNP. Please note that registration is free.
- Then, you must complete all sections of the registration. Of course, this registration will be scored based on the information you provide: skill level of your occupation, wage, location in B.C., work experience, education, and language.
- After that, the BC PNP will invite people who are in the registration pool to submit an application to the BC PNP.
- If you are invited to apply, you have up to 30 calendar days from the date of invitation to submit a complete application via BCPNP Online.
- If approved, you will receive a nomination certificate (confirmation of nomination) that you can use to apply for permanent residence with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada under the Provincial Nominee Class.
<<For more information about Immigration to British Columbia, click here>>
Remember, opportunities may come and go quickly. If you have general questions about how to immigrate to Canada, fill out the following form. Otherwise, please book a consultation session or fill out our free assessment form.
You can also read this in Spanish
Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!
This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.
The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.