Who can I sponsor to Canada?

About one-quarter of people who immigrate to Canada use family reunification options. Thus a Canadian citizen or permanent resident sponsors their loved ones in Canada. However, not every person qualifies for this option. The sponsor must meet specific qualifications, but the focus of this article is not on the sponsor. Let’s say you meet all the requirements as a sponsor. Who can you sponsor to Canada then?

Eligible family members for sponsorship

Section 117 of the Immigration Regulations identifies four distinct groups as eligible sponsorship candidates. Here is the list:

However, you may also sponsor the following relatives under exceptional circumstances:

Defining spouse, common-law partner, and conjugal partner

The following definitions are for immigration to Canada. Therefore, they could be different in family law.

  • Spouses: A valid legal marriage defines a spousal relationship. Both spouses must be physically present at the wedding site (exceptions exist for the Canadian Armed Forces). Moreover, the local laws must recognize marriage.
  • Common-law partners: If two people live together for at least one year, they could qualify as common-law partners. However, they must have a committed intimate and financial relationship.
  • Conjugal partners: The minimum duration and nature of the relationship are similar to common-law partners. Nevertheless, they have not cohabited for valid reasons (e.g., COVID travel restrictions or anti-same-sex-relationship regulations).

Who is a dependent child in family sponsorship

A dependent child is under 22 and single. However, sometimes overage children are financially and emotionally dependent on their parents because of a convincing physical or mental health issue.

Parents and grandparents

In this context, parents are either biological or adopting. Therefore, you could equally sponsor your birth parents or those who adopted you when you were a minor. The same concept could cover grandparents for sponsoring to Canada.

Adopting children and sponsoring them in Canada

Adopting minor children is a tedious, expensive, and time-consuming process. However, if you do so, then you may sponsor them.

Sponsoring orphaned relatives in Canada

Orphan refers to a child under 18 who has lost both their parents. You could sponsor the following orphans in Canada:

Other family members

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada may sponsor one of their relatives if they do not have any non-exceptional family members to sponsor. Moreover, they cannot have any of these family members as Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Simply put, the sponsor must be a lonely person.

Can I sponsor the family members of the applicant?

In this context applicant is the person who is immigrating to Canada. Also, accompanying family members refer to the applicant’s spouse, common-law partner, or dependent children. When you sponsor your family member, they may include their family members in the application. Here are two examples:

  • Your parents have a 12-year-old daughter. Of course, their daughter is your sister. In this situation, one of your parents becomes the principal applicant, and the other parent and your sister will be accompanying family members.
  • Your father is in a common-law relationship with another gentleman. Therefore, your father is the principal applicant, and his common-law partner is the accompanying family member.

Requirements for the applicants in sponsorship applications

The primary criteria for being an applicant are simple:

However, the requirements are more for the spouse, common-law, and conjugal sponsorship. Read the following articles for more information:

Let us help!

If you intend to sponsor a family member in Canada, fill out the following form. Of course, you may book an appointment with me to explore your options. Moreover, for other immigration options, please fill out our assessment form.

    What is your status in Canada


    Do you live inside or outside Canada?

    Have you paid taxes in Canada for the last 5 years (NOA required)

    What kind of sponsorship are you interested in

    Is the sponsor eligible to sponsor a family member to Canada?

    How many family members does the sponsor have including the sponsored persons?

    What is your annual income rate?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Related Posts

    Understanding Refugee Cessation in Canada

    Jun 17, 2024

    Comparing US and Canada Immigration Options

    Jun 15, 2024

    Does Canadian Citizenship Cancel Refugee Status?

    Jun 14, 2024

    A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

    Jun 10, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.