Who is a Foreign National with respect to Canada?

Depending on how Canadian laws define you, there will be certain rights or privileges for you. Otherwise, you may encounter limitations. Foreign nationals usually have the least rights concerning Canada. Therefore, it is crucial to know who is a foreign national.

Knowing the categories of people for Canada

Canadian laws divide people into three major groups:

  1. Canadian Citizens (defined under sections 3 to 5 of the Citizenship Act) 
    • Citizen by birth because of birth inside Canada (conditions may apply), or
    • Citizen by birth despite birth outside Canada: the person’s whose parents are first-generation Canadian Citizens (conditions may apply), or
    • People who immigrated to Canada and later became Naturalized Citizens.
  2. Permanent Residents of Canada (defined under section 12 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act)
  3. Foreign Nationals (defined under subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act)

Of course, you also need to know; the Indian Act defines another group of people in Canada: registered Indians. A registered Indian has almost the same rights and privileges as a Canadian citizen.

Who is a foreign national?

Under subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada (IRPA), “foreign national means a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and includes a stateless person.”

Examples of foreign nationals

Some examples of foreign nationals include,

  • International students
  • Temporary foreign workers
  • International tourists
  • Foreign business visitors
  • Foreign diplomats
  • People who are in Canada without proper documents (i.e. illegal residents or stateless residents)

Does it matter where I reside?

The state of being a Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Foreign National is independent of a person’s location. In other words, a Canadian citizen remains a citizen whether they live inside Canada or outside Canada. Similarly, a permanent resident of Canada is a permanent resident, regardless of their location. However, they could lose their permanent residency because of inadmissibility issues or residency obligations.

Can a citizen or a permanent resident become a foreign national?

A permanent resident who loses their permanent residency becomes a foreign national. However, a citizen who loses citizenship could become a permanent resident or a foreign national. Of course, this depends on the circumstances that have led to the loss of citizenship.

Can a foreign national become a permanent resident or a citizen?

There are many pathways for foreign nationals to become permanent residents and eventually citizens of Canada. However, those pathways are usually not smooth. Visit the following page for more information:

Nonetheless, sometimes a citizen or permanent resident adopts a child from Canada. Consequently, that child could become a permanent resident or a citizen upon arrival in Canada.

Who is a designated foreign national?

I have another article that explains a “designated foreign national” (DFN) in detail. Make sure to read that article too!

Related Posts

Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

Apr 14, 2024

Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

Apr 13, 2024

Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

Apr 9, 2024

CUSMA Work Permit: The T36 Exemption Code for Professionals

Mar 29, 2024

Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.