Who is a Permanent Resident of Canada? – PR Status

Binsa is a 26-year-old Nepali citizen. She knows both English and French languages very well. She holds a Master’s degree in accounting. Binsa also has more than three years of work experience as an accountant. One of Binsa’s friends, Chimini, tells her to immigrate to Canada. Chimini tells Binsa that she can become a permanent resident if she immigrates to Canada. Binsa wonders what permanent residency means.

A Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada may live or work anywhere in Canada. Section 6 of the Canadian Constitution Act, 1982 protects this right. Permanent residents also have the right to enter Canada under section 27 of IRPA.

Some conditions apply to these freedoms. For example, provinces may limit the migration of people from other provinces to their own. To the best of my knowledge, such a decision has never been exercised by any provinces of Canada yet.

If a Permanent Resident commits a serious crime such as murder, membership in criminal gangs, treason, espionage, or terrorism, they may lose their PR status. Permanent Residents need to spend about 40% of their time in Canada, or they will lose their status. Generally, a PR needs to spend at least 730 days in a five-year cycle inside Canada to keep their PR.  Section 28 of IRPA offers some alternatives to physical presence in Canada.

  1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada who is their spouse or common-law partner
  2. Being employed full-time by a Canadian company outside Canada
  3. Being employed full-time by a Canadian federal or provincial organization outside Canada
  4. Accompany a spouse or common-law partner who meets the conditions of row 2 or 3 above

Of course, someone may meet a combination of these. For example, they may be present in Canada for 400 days and then be employed by a Canadian company outside Canada for another 330 days outside Canada.

How to Become a Permanent Resident

As you may have guessed, you need to immigrate to Canada to become a Permanent Resident. Read the following article for potential methods of immigration:

If you successfully immigrate to Canada and stay in our country for a while, you could become a Canadian Citizen. Read the following article for more information:

Permanent Resident Card

When you become a permanent resident of Canada, you receive a permanent resident or PR card. This card helps you board an airplane and travel to Canada. It also verifies your permanent residency. You usually need to renew your PR card every five years.

Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR)

Landing refers to the first time you enter Canada to become a permanent resident. When you land, you also receive a piece of paper called COPR. Hold on to this paper for the rest of your life as it is proof you entered Canada once as a permanent resident. If you lose this paper, you may contact IRCC to issue you a copy.

Related Posts

Temporary measure for spouses and children of temporary foreign workers

Temporary measure for spouses and children of temporary foreign workers

Jan 30, 2023
What is the BC PNP Tech Stream

What is the BC PNP Tech Stream?

Jan 29, 2023
the highest paying jobs in Canada in 2023

Top 10: the highest paying jobs in Canada in 2023

Jan 28, 2023
initiatives at Canadas ports of entry

Initiatives at Canada’s ports of entry

Jan 27, 2023

Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?