Who is a Spousal Sponsor for Immigration to Canada? – How to Move to Canada Series

Some Canadians or Permanent Residents of Canada sponsor their partners (legally marries spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners) for the purpose of immigration to Canada. I explained who is a potential partner or spouse (the person who intends to immigrate to Canada) in another article. Here I focus on the characteristics of a potential sponsor. As a general rule, a sponsor is…

  • a citizen or permanent resident (PR) of Canada
  • if a PR resides in Canada and if a citizen either resides in Canada or intends to move to Canada when his or her spouse moves to Canada
  • is at least 18 years old
  • has not been sponsored to Canada as a spouse in the past five years
  • promises to support his or her spouse for three years from the day they land in Canada
  • promises to support his or her spouse’s children for 10 years or till they are 19
  • is not subject to a removal order from Canada
  • is not in any prison, jail, penitentiary, or reformatory
  • has not serious issues with the law (contact us for official advice)
  • is not in default of certain obligations (contact us for official advice)
  • is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability
  • files a sponsorship application and provides all necessary documents and signed forms

Many other conditions affect sponsorship applications. If you intend to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner fill out our assessment form or contact us for more information. You may also book an appointment for official immigration advice.

If you wish to visit or move to Canada or if you have encountered any issues with the immigration authorities, you may fill out our free assessment form or book a consultation session to assess your potential opportunities or offer you immigration, visa, or citizenship advice.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting

Sign Up to Our Newsletter Now!

This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor should it be relied upon. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for official immigration advice book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals or organizations) is coincidental.

Related Posts

Special authorization and its alternatives for Canadian dual citizens

Sep 23, 2023

Are Canadian citizens admissible to Canada?

Sep 17, 2023

Foreign record suspensions and Canadian admissibility

Sep 7, 2023

OINP Foreign Worker Stream with an Employer Job Offer

Sep 6, 2023

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

Al Parsai

This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.