Who may not file for refugee in Canada

Canada accepts thousands of refugee claims every year. However, not everyone may file for asylum in our country. This article explores those who may not file for refugee in Canada.

The refugee claim process inside Canada

You claim refugee in Canada in two different ways:

  • At the port of entry (upon arrival): You express your decision to a border officer, and they will initiate the process.
  • After entry: You visit an IRCC or CBSA office inside Canada and file for asylum.

I have explained these two options in a separate article. When it comes to eligibility, the main difference between these two options is the concept of the Safe Third Country.

Who may not file for refugee based on the Safe Third Country agreement

If you are travelling from the US to Canada, you may not file for refugee in the following circumstances:

  • At a US-Canada land crossing,
  • when entering by train, or
  • at a Canadian airport only if the US has refused your refugee claim. However, you must be transiting through Canada after the US authorities have deported you.

Despite the Safe Third Country Agreement with the US, you may still apply for refugee at the port of entry. Nonetheless, this exemption applies to the following circumstances only:

  • Having a family member in Canada
  • Being an unaccompanied minor
  • Holding certain documents (e.g., a Canadian TRV, study permit, or work permit)
  • Meeting the public interest exceptions requirements

Keep in mind Canada only has this agreement with the United States. Therefore, the agreement does not apply to other countries. Also, regardless of this agreement, you may file for refugee if entering Canada irregularly (i.e., not through a port of entry) or applying while inside Canada.

Who may not file for refugee based on other issues

Sometimes the Safe Third Country does not apply to the claimant. However, the claimant may not file for refugee if they are subject to a removal order. Nonetheless, the person may file for refugee at an admissibility hearing if the board member has not issued the removal order yet.

Filing the claim but no referrals

The refugee claimants file the claim with a CBSA or an IRCC officer. However, the ultimate decision-maker on refugee claims is the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). Therefore, the officer will review the case and refers it to IRB. The officers may refuse to refer the claim to IRB under the following circumstances:

  • The claimant may not file for refugee because of the Safe Third Country agreement or because they are subject to a removal order.
  • The person is already a Canadian citizen.
  • Another country has already offered the person protection as a refugee.
  • The claimant has already received protection in Canada.
  • Another country has received your refugee claim. However, that country must have an agreement with Canada to share immigration information. Subsequently, that country has informed Canada about the other claim.
  • IRCC or CBSA considered the person ineligible to file a refugee claim in the past.
  • The person is inadmissible to Canada on the grounds of:
  • IRB has refused your other refugee claim in the past.
  • The claimant withdrew or abandoned a previous refugee claim.

Of course, if the authorities do not refer the claimant to IRB, then the person won’t have a chance of becoming a refugee in Canada.

Putting a refugee claim on hold

Sometimes the authorities suspect a person may not file for refugee. However, they are not 100% sure. Consequently, they put the referral on hold, and they tentatively treat the person as if they may not file for refugee. Here are the two potential scenarios:

  • The claimant is subject to an inadmissibility hearing on the grounds of:
  • The Canadian authorities have charged the claimant for an offence with a maximum imprisonment term of at least ten years. Nevertheless, a court has not convicted the person yet.

Let us help!

If you intend to file for refugee in Canada, click here. We will review if you may not file for refugee and also your eligibility. Alternatively, please book a consultation session with me to speed up the process. Of course, for other immigration options, please fill out our assessment form.

Related Posts

parents and grandparent

IRCC sent out the invitations to sponsor parents and grandparents. What to do now?

Sep 23, 2021
U.S. land border

The U.S. land border will remain closed for Canada and Mexico

Sep 22, 2021
Foreign Worker and International Students

Ontario invites Foreign Worker and International Students

Sep 21, 2021
Liberal government

What will the Liberal Party of Canada do about immigration?

Sep 21, 2021

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches immigration courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?