Work Permit for Francophones – No LMIA is Necessary – Francophone mobility

Canada has two official languages: French and English.  According to Statistics Canada, about 65% of Canadians in English, about 21% are French, and the rest speak unofficial languages. Of course, many people know both official languages of Canada.

Paragraph 3(1)(b.1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) defines supporting and assisting “the development of minority official languages communities in Canada” as one of the objectives of the IRPA. About 89% of French-speaking people (also known as Francophones) live in Quebec [source]. The rest of Canada is mainly English-speaking (also known as Anglophones). The Francophone population is a minority in other provinces. In fact, the total population of French-speaking people is hardly over 1,000,000 outside Quebec. If you compare this statistic with the mandate of IRPA, you realize Canada’s government wishes to invite Francophones to other provinces of Canada.

Who is a Francophone?

The governing body of immigration is Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Under the IRCC guidelines, a Francophone is someone whose habitual language of daily use is French. The obvious choices are many people from the following countries.

Algeria Djibouti Mauritius
Belgium Equatorial Guinea Monaco
Benin France Morocco
Burkina Faso French Guiana Niger
Burundi Gabon Réunion
Cameroon Guadeloupe Rwanda
The central African Republic Guinea Senegal
Chad Haiti Seychelles
Comoros Luxembourg Switzerland
Congo, Republic of the Madagascar Togo
Côte d’Ivoire Mali Tunisia
The Democratic Republic of the Congo Martinique


The preceding countries’ official language is French, and many people fall under the definition of Francophone (assuming they use French as their primary language in daily life). If a person is from other countries, they need to use French daily (e.g., a French-language teacher or someone who works for France or Belgium in their home country). An immigration officer has the right to ask for proof of knowledge of the French language (e.g. through the Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF) score).

Work Permit for Francophones

French-speaking people could receive a work permit to Canada under the  Mobilité francophone (or Francophone mobility) program. This program is exempt from an LMIA. To qualify for this program, you need to…

  • Be a Francophone, as described earlier.
  • Your destination is a province in Canada other than Quebec.
  • You have a job offer from a Canadian employer under NOC 0, A or B
  • Your knowledge of the French language in Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) is of level 7 or higher (NCLC is the Canadian Language Benchmark for French)

As mentioned earlier, the officer may or may not ask you for proof of French knowledge, but if they do, they will most likely ask for the TEF exam score. Your TEF Canada score needs to be equivalent to or higher than 207 in Reading, 310 in Writing, 249 in Listening, and 310 in Speaking [source].

Steps to be Taken

To apply under this program, you and your employer need to take the following steps.

  1. An employer needs to offer you a full-time job outside Quebec in a NOC 0, A, or B position.
  2. If you accept the offer, the employer needs to create an Employer-Account with the IRCC and post the job. They also need to pay the compliance fee of $230
  3. Upon posting the job offer, you will receive a special file number that starts with the letter A. You need to apply for a Work Permit with the help of that job offer.

If you are from a visa-exempt country such as France or Belgium, you may travel to Canada with the help of an eTA and then apply for the work permit at a port of entry (e.g. at a Canadian airport). If you need a visa to enter Canada, you have to apply online or via a Visa Application Centre. If you are not a US citizen, you also need to give biometrics. If you are married, your spouse may also qualify for an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employers in Canada. Your minor children may also study in Canada without a study permit. All of these are subject to approval by the immigration authorities.

Immigration Options

Francophone mobility could open doors to immigration to Canada under the Express Entry system. For example, if you work for your employer for at least one year, you collect extra points, making it easier for you to apply. Your chances of success depend on many factors such as your age, your knowledge of French or English, your work experience, your ties to Canada, your admissibility to Canada and more.


Related Posts

2024 New Canada eTA & Visa Rules for Mexican Citizens

Mar 1, 2024

3M? Exploring PR Options for Canada’s Temporary Residents

Feb 25, 2024

Grounds for Persecution under IRPA: Refugee Claims in Canada

Feb 25, 2024

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

Feb 19, 2024

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.