Work Permit for Television and Film Production Workers

Oliver is a professional sound engineer who works for a local TV station in Liverpool, UK. Oliver, a British citizen, is highly skilled and educated in the field of sound engineering. He is an active member of the Association of Motion Picture Sound (AMPS) in the United Kingdom. A TV station in Fredericton, New Brunswick has recently offered him a position in their company. He will be involved in the production of a TV series that will be aired by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). The Canadian TV station hopes to get a work permit for Oliver without going through the LMIA process.

The government of Canada decided to ease up the process of work permit for employees of TV and film production industry. This option was not available before February 17, 2016. If applicable to a person, they may apply for a work permit without an LMIA [note to practitioners: the exemption code is C14 under R205(a)].

If you intend to apply under this program, you need to consider the following points:

  • This exemption code is limited to the television and film industry
  • The position or project needs to create significant benefits to Canadians or permanent residents of Canada
  • These kinds of jobs are usually unionized in Canada. A letter from the relevant Union needs to support the hiring of the foreign national
  • The employer needs to submit a detailed reference letter in support of the position and the foreign national
  • The position must be a high-wage job. In other words, the salary offered to the foreign national must be equal or higher than the median salary of the province for the same position

The preceding list is neither exclusive nor conclusive. If you are not eligible to apply under this code, you could  potentially apply under any of the following options:

If you wish to visit or move to Canada or if you have encountered any issues with the immigration authorities, you may fill out our free assessment form or book a consultation session to assess your potential opportunities or offer you immigration, visa, or citizenship advice.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting

This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not give legal advice nor should you rely on it as legal advice. If you have specific legal questions, you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals, organizations, regions, or countries) is coincidental.

Related Posts

Canada new Affordability Plan

Know More About Canada’s Affordability Plan

Sep 25, 2022

Section 16(1) and 40(1) in Canadian procedural fairness letters (PFL)

Sep 25, 2022
Canadian job vacancies in 2022

Canada reported a record high of 997,000 job vacancies

Sep 24, 2022
international student with a job offer in Ontario

Pathway for International Students with a Job Offer in Ontario

Sep 23, 2022

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?