What will the Liberal Party of Canada do about immigration?
The Liberal leader, Justin Trudeau, won Canada’s 44th federal election, according to CBC and CTV news. On this occasion, the Liberals won a minority government, falling short of the 170 seats needed in the House of Commons to have a majority.
Due to pandemic-related issues, final results may be delayed. However, at last check, the Liberals are leading in 149 ridings. The early 2021 election results also indicate the Conservatives will finish second. In addition, the Bloc Quebecois and the New Democratic Party (NDP) are contending for third place.
This election outcome will definitely lead to some changes in Canadian immigration over the coming years.
The Forward – For everyone plan said that a re-elected Liberal government will:
– Eliminate Citizenship Application Fees for Permanent Residents who have fulfilled the requirements needed to obtain it.
– Build on the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot and welcome 2,000 skilled refugees to fill labour shortages in in-demand sectors such as health care.
– Establish a Trusted Employer system to streamline the application process for Canadian companies hiring temporary foreign workers.
– Continue to work with provinces, territories, and regulatory bodies to improve foreign credential recognition.
– Support Francophone immigration outside of Quebec.
– Expand the new immigration stream for human rights defenders. In addition, they will work with civil society groups to ensure safe passage and resettlement of people under threat, including from Afghanistan.
Moreover, they will implement a program to issue visas to spouses and children abroad while they wait for the processing of their permanent residency applications. This will help families to be together sooner.
These are just some of the actions that the Liberal government plans to implement. Developments in Immigration, after 2015 (especially during 2019 and 2020), provide us with a sense of what we can expect on the Canadian immigration front over the next six months or so.
For now, we can only hope that the new liberal government will launch new immigration policies and programs.
If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.
Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!
This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.
The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.